When creating a freelanced model railroad, it helps to visualise things – at least for me – in order to create a coherent and somewhat realistic world.
Because questions arise when building the individual models, like:
- Where do the railroad go?
- How old is it?
- What does the terrain surrounding the settlements look like?
- What is transported on the railroad – passengers, goods and which types?
- What gauges are used – standard, narrow or even broad?
- Is the railroad connected to other railroads? Are cars interchanged?
Instead of trying to keep most of it in my head and forgetting lots of it, I decided to draw a map, just like in the old days of being a gamemaster of Dungeon & Dragons with my friends 🙂